Like an old man who has a pain in his gut and is too afraid to go to the doctor and be given a life-altering diagnosis, I neglected my old car--afraid of the bad news I knew was coming. I have needed new brakes before but I have never before heard the excruciating sounds of metallic friction that were emanating from my Montero Sport's left rear end.
So finally last week the car went in to the garage. I had a friend pick me up at the shop in her school bus. We went out for coffee and a club sandwich as I awaited the dreaded phone call and she awaited her next run. Ouch. Two hours later I took the call--I had a broken caliper. They come in pairs as I learned. Only one was broken, but they recommended replacing both. What the heck were calipers? My gearhead brothers will laugh at me. I don't think I have ever replaced my calipers before.
And then it gets worse. I needed a new alternator, and belts as well. The battery had already been replaced and the car was starting fine, but I guess it was only a matter of time--it was not charging.
At some point during the final phone call informing me that my car was ready, the man at the shop called me hon. I appreciated that he was trying to be accommodating to me, but a tiny tinge of feminism reared its ugly head. My hackles were aroused...but my calipers were fixed!
The bill. $1398. And that was for only the one caliper. The car is now as quiet as a good dream and I can once again slam on my brakes without cringing from the screeching sounds of metal on metal.
For another couple hundred they would have replaced the pump for my windshield fluid. I have invested in a cheap squirt bottle to keep in the car.
For another couple hundred they would have replaced the pump for my windshield fluid. I have invested in a cheap squirt bottle to keep in the car.
I don't often write about my Dad. His name was Melvin and I liked him very much. My husband lost his father less than two years ago and sees him every day when he looks in the mirror. My parents have been gone so long that I can go days without thinking about them. And I try not to look in the mirror very often. But my bad brakes reminded me of my father. To save on brakes, he would go dangerously fast around corners. He careened out of our driveway onto the highway sans brakes. I recall that it felt dangerous.
I was also reminded that he delighted in freaking me out by navigating the ditches and ridges on the farm at a tipping angle. I'm sure he knew what was safe, but he delighted in trying to frighten me.
I wonder if he did the same to those old gearhead brothers of mine?
I wonder if he would be amused by my bad caliper and braking-avoidance technique?
OK, I was alerted there was a auto story on your blog. Brakes are a normal wear item at least the pads which rub against the metal rotor. If you change the pads when there is still friction material left you will not get to the metal backing. If you hear metal on metal you are already too late and to the point it needs new pads and a new rotor, but they are always going to replace both anyway. And yes, if the pads on one side are worn the other side will be too. As to the calipers they are not usually replaced unless they are not working or broken. They normally do not need to be replaced in pairs. When you push on the brakes they use the hydraulic pressure to push the pads against the rotor to slow the wheel. Laura had a brake repair when she had the Contour in Chicago. It was one rear caliper, two rotors and two sets of pads for about $450. I suppose the parts for a FORD are quite available (probably from China).
ReplyDeleteAs to the alternator belt, that is just normal wear. The alternator is a long life item but after 10-yrs and 120,000+ miles there are no guarantees. Yes, there are reasons why people trade older cars off....to avoid the repairs. They prefer peace of mind and car payment to unexpected repairs. But look on the repair as 5 car payments. Have your best trusted mechanic spend a little time looking under the hood and looking at the underside while on the hoist and they should be able to let you know if anything is to be expected in the near future.
In case it makes you feel better our neighbor's 2-yr old Audi had a strange electrical problem where the car started turning itself on on and draining the battery. It cost $5,700 to fix it and the only good thing was it was still under the manufactures warranty.
And with cars as well as people, regular care is sometimes the lowest cost in the long term.
Best of luck in your cars future.
Thanks for your input. I'm not aware of anything that was damaged by waiting... I still hear one noise in the rear but I'm a little paranoid now and listening for every little thing--with the window open. We know we take a chance with the old vehicles--that's why the husband always has a new one! He can only stand so much trouble, being more academic than mechanic.
DeleteYes, like bad health stories, too, there is always a worse situation out there that makes one's own problem seem minor.