Saturday, January 19, 2013

The Good, the Bad and the Really Tasty

Tiramisu

I know that this does not look much like "January health food," but the four of us in our Michigan family had the opportunity to use some December gift cards at an authentic Italian eatery last evening. After indulging in (what else) pasta, I shared this dessert with the husband.

I have searched for an ultimate version of tiramisu over the years and always seem to find the dessert lacking. I have seen women enter swooning states of ecstasy as they taste or even imagine tiramisu but I have not yet found that level of pleasure. The portion above was the best I've had so far, and really tasty. I loved the hedge of sliced strawberries.

As I was finishing my grocery shopping late Friday afternoon, having made all the good and healthy choices at a busy neighborhood store, we had agreed via a flurry of cell calls, to go out to dinner at 7:30. I had brought a baggie of pennies to the store to toss into one of those cash-counting machines, which had failed to print out a receipt. I was annoyed. It was a small sum of money and not worth my waiting for the manager, who had to find a key, call from the phone located inside the door and print out the transaction data.

So I was frustrated, tired, hungry and not inclined to hurry home, wash my hair and change into dress pants and shoes.

But later, as we were served with warm bread, olive oil, bruschetta and glasses of red wine (my first for the year!), the troubles of the world seemed to melt away. I cast aside all thoughts of the healthy foods I had just purchased and hoped to eat--broccoli, salmon, yogurt, almonds and other super foods. I was about to enjoy an entree of richly sauced and cheesed manicotti. After all my years of (attempted) low-carbing, I still think of pasta as a "bad" and indulgent food.

I am annoyed that spell check doesn't recognize the Italian foods! No, I did not mean Menotti. Haven't these foods become as American as apple pie?

I just checked the menu and I actually had cannelloni della casa. What do I know? They all sound like pasta to me, but spell check knows cannelloni.

I may not enjoy a long life if I eat like this, but it was one more good day of living!

No comments:

Post a Comment